Sunday, 10 February 2013

Pressing On!

Yup, I'm "pressing on" with the studying.  It's going okay, but I am missing sewing so much.

Sundays are my only nominated sewing day for the moment and I wanted to get a couple of important sewing jobs done.  Hubs and I cleaned up my sewing machine which was in much need of a bit of TLC.  There was an embarrassing amount of fluff under the bobbin plate.

Next up, I did some sewing on a special secret project that I promise I will tell you all about as soon as I'm allowed.  All I can say is that it's going to be *wild*!

Then I was on to my bee block sewing for this month.  It's Ana's turn this month in the Fat Quarterly Kinky Bumblie Bee and she asked for sewing themed blocks to be made using Aneela Hoey's super cute Sew Stitchy line.

I was immediately taken with Leila's pattern *Press On*  {Where the Orchids Grow} that was featured in the Sew Out Loud Quilt Hop a little while ago.

I assumed it would be a paper pieced block and there are options for paper piecing but my printer decided to only spit out the freezer paper method templates.

Too lazy to go back to the printer once I realised this,  I thought I'd give this technique a try.

For those who haven't tried it, it basically involves cutting the shapes out of freezer paper and ironing them onto your fabric.  This pattern called for it to be ironed onto the right side of the fabric.  You then cut the fabric with a 1/4 inch seam and sew it all together.

I have to say that I enjoyed it far more than paper piecing and am already looking forward to my next block made in this way.

There is even a moment of excitement before the papers are peeled off...


Fat Quarterly K Bee February block
Before the freezer papers are removed
Fat Quarterly K Bee February block
Removing the papers
Fat Quarterly K Bee February block
Ta-Dah - the finished block
Such fun!

Cheerio for now.
Liz
xxxx

15 comments:

  1. great block! missing you here too, but you'll be back soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going with the study:I know how hard it is on top if everything else, but when you get that qualification it will all be worth it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so perfect! I love it and yay for sewing Sundays! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. great block and good luck with the studying, I know it's tough :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So easily amused ;o) Looks great though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is a great block Liz! Nothing like a bit of peer pressure - I must get Ana's and Trash's blocks done asap. Looking forward to finding out about what your "wild" secret sewing is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wild secret sewing eh? The mind boggles. That is a superb bee block too. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  8. so cute! That method works really well, and there is so much less swearing than with foundation piecing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this bee block Liz! I have only just finished Trash's Jan block, so must pull my finger out ;-)xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic block! I love your fabric choices and wish I could get on with freezer paper piecing, I just don't find it comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. brilliant block. I tried frerezer paper piecing at the FQ retreat last year - could not get my head around it so I'm doubly impressed x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This refеrs tο a trim bοdy then уou aгe able to
    how to gгow tallеr. There аre ѕome οf the
    ρeoρlе whо cоnѕume eggs anԁ baсon.


    Ϻy web-ѕite ... http://growtallertv.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since I hate paper piecing, this would be the way I'd go. =)

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.